As a family who loves tacos, we never miss Cinco de Mayo. Held each year on May 5, Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican Army’s defeat over the French in 1862. It’s also a great time to celebrate all things Mexico. To help kick start your Cinco de Mayo, here is one of my favourite go-to meals for my family. I am also pleased to share a brand new contest just in time for the festivities. My friends at Old El Paso are giving away a prize pack valued at $275. Keep reading to enter!
Build Your Own Chicken Burrito Bowls With Old El Paso
This build your own chicken burrito bowl recipe is extremely customizable. Pick and choose the veggies and meat that works best for your family.
- Old El Paso Fiesta Fajita Mix
- Old El Paso Whole Wheat Burrito Bowls
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Fresh Lime
- Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Long Grain White Rice
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- Fresh Cilantro
- Romaine Lettuce
- Bell Peppers
- Black Beans (1/2 can or use fresh)
- Corn (1/2 can or use fresh)
Cilantro Lime Rice:
- Make rice per directions. I combined 1 cup of long grain white rice, 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 teaspoons of rice in a small uncovered saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil turn the element to low and cover to simmer for 10 minutes. While the rice is simmering chop up some fresh cilantro (to taste) and cut the lime in half. The cilantro and juice of half a lime will be added just before serving. Make sure to mix well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan.
- Cut thawed boneless skinless chicken into strips.
- Once the oil is heated, add the chicken strips to the pan and cooked for 7 minutes stirring frequently.
- Once cooked through add ½ cup of water and the fiesta seasoning mix. Turn off the heat and stir to combine.
- Cut yellow and red bell pepper into strips and sautée in a frying pan. You could also cook this with the chicken strips for a more flavourful taste.
- Chop all the other veggies and drain the canned corn/beans if you are not using fresh.
- Serve the Old El Paso Burrito Bowls warm or cold (both are delicious). Enjoy building your own burrito bowls with your family.
Want to Win Your Own Cinco de Mayo Prize Pack from Old El Paso?
Enter here before June 1, 2017 to win a prize pack valued at $275 which includes a $250 gift card to Walmart and the following Old El Paso products: Regular Tortilla Bowls, Stand n Stuff Taco Dinner Kit, Mild Taco Sauce, Taco Seasoning, Thick n Chunky Salsa Mild and Mexican Rice. Canada Only. No QC residents.